The Brunei Darussalam Government is offering scholarships for South Africans to study full-time, on-campus diplomas, undergraduate degrees, and master’s programs starting in July/August 2023 at the following participating public Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) in Brunei Darussalam:
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam (UBD);
- Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali (UNISSA);
- Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB);
- Kolej Universiti Perguruan Ugama Seri Begawan (KUPU SB);
- Politeknik Brunei (PB)
The link for information on the scholarship is https://www.mfa.gov.bn/online-bdgs.
Diploma, Bachelor’s, and Master’s
- International students studying for the first time in Brunei Darussalam;
- Applicants must be younger than 25 for Undergraduate and Diploma programs and younger than 35 for Master’s studies, by 01 July 2023;
- Be proficient in English;
- Applicants must be in good health and have a strong academic record;
- There may be an interview requirement and a written examination to measure the applicant’s proficiency in English/ Malay/ Arabic language (where applicable) as determined by the institution offering the program.
Field of study
For more information regarding programs, entry requirements, and additional information, please see the following websites:
Universiti Islam Sultan Sharif Ali
Kolej Universiti Perguruan Ugama Seri Begawan (KUPU SB)
What the scholarship offers
- Tuition fees including acceptance, examination, registration, and orientation fees for the duration of the program;
- Economy class return air ticket;
- University accommodation;
- Monthly Stipend: BND$500.00 (approximately R5600);
- Monthly meals allowance: BND$150.00 (approximately R1700);
- Annual book allowance: BND$600.00 (approximately R6700);
- Baggage allowance for shipment of the scholarship recipient’s personal belongings upon completion of the study program, at a maximum amount of BND$500.00 (approximately R5600);
- Medical insurance (Scholarship recipients are urged to obtain additional insurance before traveling to Brunei Darussalam).
Applications are strictly online via the BDGS Application Portal.
Applicants applying to Universitiy Brunei Darussalam must also complete an online application at: Click here to apply
The following supporting documents should be uploaded to the application system:
- Recent passport-size photograph;
- Certified true copies of academic qualifications and other supporting documents (i.e. certificates, testimonials, transcripts);
- Certified English translations of supporting documents must be submitted for documents that are not in English;
- Certified true copies of Birth Certificate and Passport;
- References and recommendations from referees. (C1 and C2)
All inquiries should be directed to queriesBDGS2023@mfa.gov.bn
Documents and links
Government of Brunei Darussalam Scholarship
Please note that this opportunity is not offered by the Department of Higher Education and Training. Applicants are required to undertake their own research into programs and institutions and are responsible for ensuring that the qualifications will be recognized in South Africa. If there are any discrepancies in the details provided, the information given by the sponsor supersedes the details provided above. No additional financial support will be provided by the Department of Higher Education and Training.
Click here for information on the scholarship
15 February 2023.